July 3, 2020
As most of us prepare to celebrate Independence Day tomorrow, Dean Bank is making preparations to enter into our next Phase of reopening effective Monday July 6th. After months of working rotating weekly shifts with half of our regular branch staff, Monday marks the first time since March that our four branch offices will have a full staff servicing our customers. We realize that the speed of our service may have suffered on occasion as a result and we are deeply appreciative of the patience you’ve shown throughout.
Customers may now perform a full array of transactions in-branch if they wish to, provided the posted health, safety and social distancing guidelines are followed. Our doors will be open during regular business hours and a greeter will welcome you, making sure that face coverings are worn and offering hand sanitizer to use prior to any business being conducted. Again, we hope customers are understanding. We want to ensure that once open, Dean Bank remains open…helping us by following the guidelines certainly helps. Customers not wishing to do so may certainly still bank via our drive up tellers.
We anticipate this phase will continue throughout the summer months, assuming the state does not realize any setbacks regarding the spread of the virus. Should conditions require any changes to our operations, I will communicate them to you as quickly and as clearly as I can.
All of us here at Dean Bank are thankful beyond words for the compassion, the thoughtfulness and the loyalty our customers and the community at large have shown. We are in this together and you’ve each demonstrated that in ways our employees will remember for years to come. From the bottom of our hearts we say THANK YOU! We wish you all a safe and happy Fourth of July, we look forward to seeing you all at the bank and we wish every person reading this health, safety and prosperity as we move forward as a community.
Kevin R. Goffe
President & CEO
A message from Dean Bank President & CEO Kevin R. Goffe
I have a number of words to describe 2020 so far; surreal, challenging, difficult, dangerous….but at the same time, inspiring, cooperative, uplifting and hopeful.
For the past eight weeks or so, Dean Bank has fundamentally transformed the way it serves its retail banking, mortgage, small business and commercial customers. Every element of service “before” has been transformed in ways we never conceived of just 90 days ago. Most of our workforce has been working remotely quite effectively while our branch, mortgage and commercial departments have been on-site processing and closing loans in historic numbers.
We are in the beginning stages of the reopening process. Our Management Team is meeting regularly to design a workplace where our employees will remain safe and healthy, while still providing the level of personalized service you have come to expect as a Dean Bank customer.
I must be frank with you; it is going to look and feel different. We are committed to following the Commonwealth’s mandates and guidelines but are equally committed to creating our own; ones that customers and employees alike will find reassuring. I will be sending out specifics in a separate communication very soon but will share one major component with you now. For the foreseeable future, customers will be required to wear a mask or other face covering at all times while in our branches and will be expected to use hand sanitizer (available via dispensers located within each location) upon entering and exiting any Dean Bank office or branch.
With Memorial Day around the corner, we anticipate offering more face-to-face service shortly thereafter. With warmer weather coming, we hope that the severity of this virus wanes and that society can get on with the business of doing business locally. We look forward to that moment.
For some good news, look at mortgage rates! They remain at historic lows. If you have not yet refinanced, consider doing so with Dean Bank. Now is also a great time to consider purchase a home. You may apply in minutes for either scenario at deanbank.com. Simply click “check rates” next to the “I want to” phrase on our Home Page.
Another positive development has been the adoption of our electronic banking services such as Mobile Banking, Mobile Check Deposit and Online Deposit Account Opening. We are proud that our services are available for your use during this extended stay-at-home environment. Visit deanbank.com and open a CD, checking account or savings product right from the comfort of your home or office. It can also be found as a Tab in Online Banking. If you need assistance making a mobile deposit, we created a video tutorial found on our web site.
I wish you and your family health and safety. I look forward to seeing you in person in the days ahead and I speak for our staff when I say “THANK YOU!” for trusting us with your business.
PRESIDENT"S MESSAGE REGARDING COVID-19 CAN STILL BE FOUND HERE:
Amid ongoing concerns about the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we want to assure you that Dean Bank is closely monitoring the latest from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) as well as other state and federal agencies. We are taking all necessary measures for the health and safety of our customers, colleagues and the communities we serve. Below is an updated summary of steps taken to ensure customer and employee safety while the bank is open for business.
- NEW: Dean Bank remains steadfast in its support of our customers, our employees and our community! We've seen tremendous things in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. We've seen our community rally together to support those in need. We've seen our community hospital face this crisis head on, small businesses that made and donated hundreds of meals, individuals creating masks for their co-workers after they'd completed a full day's work, local businesses remaining open to serve despite the health risks that posed...the list goes on and on. On behalf of each of our employees we say THANK YOU!
- As of April 27th, financial institutions, including Dean Bank, have been instructed to temporarily suspend collection of Regulation D fees, which occur when a customer makes more than 6 withdrawals from a Savings account during a calendar month. The federal government understands a customer's need for cash to cover expenses may increase from a "non-transaction" account like a savings or money market account and wants consumers to know they can do so without penalty at this time.
- The SBA announced additional debt relief efforts for small businesses. For more information, please click here or contact any of our Commercial Lending staff and they'll be happy to have a conversation with you.
- The SBA issued new guidelines regarding the PPP. The press release can be found here. It's imperative that Congress approved additional funding for the program as funds have completely run out from the first round.
- As of Thursday, April 16, Dean Bank's Mendon Branch will close at 4:00 pm on Thursdays and Fridays until our area returns to full business activities. We apologize if this temporary change creates any hardship. Please remember our other three branches will operate with normal business hours.
- As of March 31st the SBA sent out new guidelines for faster assistance to small businesses. They stated that EIDL applicants that already submitted in the previous system received an email instructing those that wish to request a FORGIVABLE advance of up to $10K to submit a new application on the new portal. If you are submitting a new application, please follow the new streamlined steps in the portal (https://covid19relief.sba.gov/#/) as the questions are mostly the same from all the required documents in the previous version of the portal. All small businesses and nonprofits are encouraged to apply for EIDL and request an Economic Injury Disaster Loan advance of up to $10,000. The loan advance will not have to be repaid. If you already submitted an application and want to check on status, please call customer service at 1-800-659-2955 or e-mail disastercustomerservice at sba dot gov
- As of March 17, 2020, Dean Bank branches will remain open for business; however, service will occur via the drive up lanes, night deposit and ATM’s only in our Franklin, Bellingham and Blackstone locations. We hope customers will understand that this is a temporary situation and we apologize in advance if service time is longer than normal. Customers who require in-person service for services such as access to their safe deposit boxes should call their local branch (branch telephone numbers can be found here) and a member of our customer service staff will make an appointment for your transaction to be completed. Coin counting is temporarily suspended in all branches. Our Mendon Branch will restrict service to via the night drop & ATM only. More information will be communicated should conditions warrant it.
- Business customers may call ahead for coin orders and the bank will make every effort to fill that order for you as quickly as possible. A member of our branch staff will contact you with pick up details.
- We have created a special e-mailbox, outreach at deanbank dot com, for customers who may be struggling financially as a direct result of the virus to share their specific concerns related to business or personal accounts with the bank. Please do NOT share specific account number or balance information via email but do include the best method for us to contact you (phone or email).
- If you are concerned with going out in public, you can conduct most transactions via Online Account Opening, Telephone Banking, Online Banking or Mobile Banking (including Mobile Check Deposit). If you do not already have our app you can download it via the App or Google Play Store. Our staff is prepared to answer questions about these services (in person or by telephone or email) and in many cases provide instruction to you, should you have a question about how to use our e-Services. Additionally, our website (www.deanbank.com) provides a host of valuable resources such as ATM locations and Branch Hours.
- Business customers that may be experiencing temporary cash flow issues may contact the SBA. To explore options including loan payment deferments of up to 6 months visit www.sba.gov to begin the process or speak with a member of our Commercial Lending staff.
- Finally, if you would like to speak with a member of our staff please call us at 508.528.0088 during regular business hours.
We will continue to closely monitor the situation and communicate any additional measures necessary to support you and the communities we serve as needs arise.
Kevin R. Goffe
President & CEO
Dean Bank obtains 95% of its funding locally and reinvests that money in local housing, businesses and through other consumer financing needs. Despite our small size in the financial services marketplace, Dean Bank has provided over $1 billion in residential housing finance over the past 15 years. Thank you for ranking us the #1 Community Bank in each of the markets we serve by voters in the CNC Reader's Choice for 12 years in a row!